Author: Kathryn Rose
Publication Date: May 8, 2014
View Sophia's ARC Review
By day, Vivienne is Guinevere's lady-in-waiting. By night, she's Merlin's secret apprentice, indulging in the new mechanical arts and science of alchemy. It's a preferred distraction from Camelot’s gossipy nobility, roguish knights, and Lancelot’s athletic new squire, Marcus, who will follow in all knights’ footsteps by taking a rather inconvenient vow of chastity.
More than anything, Vivienne longs to escape Camelot for a future that wouldn't include needlework or marriage to a boorish lord or dandy. But when King Arthur's sorceress sister, Morgan le Fay, threatens Camelot, Vivienne must stay to help Merlin build a steam-powered weapon to defeat the dark magic machine Morgan will set upon the castle. Because if Camelot falls, Morgan would be that much closer to finding the elusive Holy Grail. Time is running out and Morgan draws near, and if Vivienne doesn't have Merlin's weapon ready soon, lives would pay the price, including that of Marcus, the only one fast enough to activate it on the battlefield.
- Hi Vivienne – welcome to Bookwyrming Thoughts! Let's start off with something easy (or at least, I hope it's easy!): what’s your favorite food in Camelot?
I’m partial to sugar-covered figs and good Druid tea.
- Sugar-covered figs sound like a yummy treat. What’s one thing you wish Camelot had but currently doesn’t have? Not necessarily food. :p
The Holy Grail would certainly save me a lot of time. I’d like to study it.
- I’m not exactly too sure if females can read in Camelot. But if they can, what’s your favorite book? (Maybe I’m looking for recommendations. *shifty eyes*)
Merlin made sure I could read, so I am well-versed in many stories and legends. I’m currently fascinated with The History of Eastern Alchemy, but sadly, you might not have access to it, unless you can inside Merlin’s catacombs.
- What do you think Morgan le Fay is up to currently? Anything besides the very obvious.
In all likelihood, regretting her thievery of magic.
- If only. When everything with Morgan is over, would you enjoy traveling outside of Camelot? If so, where would you like to visit?
I’m desperate to travel to all the places Merlin and Marcus have told me of. My first pick would be Jerusalem to work alongside the alchemist, Azur.
- What is your greatest fear? Excluding anything to do with Morgan Le Fay, Merlin, Marcus, or your family. Oh wait. Fall of Camelot is not an option either. Neither is everyone finding out you’re in a forbidden relationship with a certain knight. (Nope. Not making this easy.)
Horses is the first thing that comes to mind, but I’m learning to understand them a bit more.
- Well, they are big creatures. Might not want to risk angering one. So... Merlin. Poor guy (well, he was funny yet wise). :( Describe him in one sentence.
An insufferable old fool whose heart is as warm as his disposition is curmudgeonly.
- What’s your favorite memory of Merlin in a tweet? Tweets have nothing to do with birds literally, but basically it’s in 140 characters or less. ^_^
The look on the old drunk’s face when I took apart his beloved hookah and turned it into a toy aeroship was priceless.
- MINOR SPOILER ALERT: What was your reaction when you first found out your mother was a former apprentice of Merlin’s? It seemed like you were too occupied at the time to let it really sink in... Also, do you think your mother knew about your apprenticeship, or was at least suspicious?
My mother most certainly knew of my apprenticeship and encouraged it, though to remain quiet on the subject was of the utmost importance. When I found out she’d worked alongside my mentor, I felt a deeper love for my mother, and I felt I understood her better.
- What’s one invention you want to achieve yet have not succeeded in? Terra (I hope I didn’t get that wrong) is excluded.
Certainly there must be a way to navigate better and find lost goods. This would come in handy for a certain quest…
- If Merlin never asked you to be his apprentice, what do you think you would be doing in your free time?
I’d hope that girl in another time and another world would have come to enjoy the practices of a lady-in-waiting. Thankfully, that girl is not me.
- It wouldn't be me either. Unless ladies-in-waiting play chess, but I doubt it. Last question: After everything that’s happened so far, what’s your biggest regret? Something that you wish you could turn back time so you could change the outcome.
I wish there had been a way to stop the farmlands from burning. I wish I could have saved those who died.
Thanks for stopping by! ^o^
- Signed Copy of Camelot Burning
- Giveaway is US ONLY
- Ends October 7, 2014